HSNP is a flagship programme with targets in the performance contract of the Cabinet Secretary (CS), Ministry of Devolution and Planning (MoDP). HSNP is managed by the National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) as part of the wider National Safety Net Programme (NSNP). HSNP provides regular and predictable cash transfers for to up to 100,000 of the poorest and most vulnerable households in its four target counties. It can also deliver emergency payments to additional households in response to drought.
- to reduce poverty, food insecurity and malnutrition, and promote asset retention and accumulation for beneficiary households;
- to produce wider positive impacts on indicators of wellbeing and wealth (such as resilience to shocks, health and education uptake, and access to financial services).
Read more: HSNP 1 Presentation
- Reduce extreme hunger and vulnerability of the poorest households through the regular payment of an unconditional cash transfer;
- Ensure effective, financially secure and well-targeted use of safety net and cash transfer programmes to support some of the most vulnerable and poor in Kenya;
- Implement a scaled up, integrated, effective government-led and financed safety net programme.
Read more: HSNP2 Presentation